Saturday, October 13, 2012

League Championship Series


Playoff baseball rocks. Last night I found myself rooting for the Cardinals after they went down 6-0. It was 1 part rooting for a comeback, 1 part wanting a good game, and  lastly my residual from my fan-hood with  McGwire. I was rooting for the Cardinals as they came up in the 9th and even cheered as Descalso got the base hit, but then I found myself deflated as Kozma got the game winning hit.  It was then that it hit me that the underdogs and most exciting stories are gone from the playoffs.

 The exciting Oakland Athletics , unexpected Baltimore Orioles, and the history making Washington Nationals are all out of the playoffs. These were the best stories of the playoffs and I am sad to see these teams depart. The only positive result of the Nationals exit is that the Strasburg debate will cease. 

 We are left with 4 teams that many predicted would be here, four teams in the top 9 in payroll.  The two previous World Series Champions, Cardinals (9) and Giants(8) match up.The key match-ups will be the Cardinals offense and the Giants lack of offense. 

In a rematch of last years ALDS the Yankees(1) face the Tigers (5).  The Yankees and Tigers series starts tonight in the Bronx and the focus will be on the two aces Verlander and Sabathia. 

Who is the underdog team that everyone should be rooting for?

There is no doubt that I will be watching and I will not be rooting for one team in particular, but instead for as many elimination games as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment